(US) IPA: /ˈfʌstɪk/
- A tropical American tree, Chlorophora tinctoria or Maclura
tinctoria, whose wood produces a yellow dye. Also called old fustic or
- A European tree, Cotinus coggyria or Rhus cotinus, whose wood
produces an orange dye. Also called young fustic
- The wood of these trees.
- A yellow dye obtained from the wood of these trees.
- 1719, Daniel Defoe, Robinson Crusoe
- ...nor can I tell to this day what wood to call the tree we cut
down, except that it was very like the tree we call fustic, or
between that and the Nicaragua wood, for it was much of the same
colour and smell.
Fustic may refer to: